When someone passes away, family members and heirs can be consumed with grief and mourning. It can be difficult to function at such a time, especially when so many decisions must be handled in fairly short order.
However, with a little bit of pre-planning and assistance from a skilled probate attorney, many of the tough choices can be decided in advance, ensuring a smooth transition of assets. In those cases where pre-planning hasn’t taken place, a probate attorney can help family members sort out the issues associated with an estate, and assist in minimizing problems, and possibly anger and distrust, that may arise during the distribution process.
With several years of probate law experience, David Stimpson and his staff can provide you with the peace of mind that comes with knowing your estate issues will be handled professionally and in a way that adequately protects your rights and your assets.
Attorney Stimpson is knowledgeable in all aspects of probate work and can guide executors or serve as an executor on behalf of family members, assisting them in the following ways:
- Identifying and securing assets of an estate
- Working with life insurance companies to make sure policies are paid
- Ensuring that all bills are paid and that all debts are settled
- Prepping and filing documents required by a probate court
- Resolving income tax issues
- Determining if estate or inheritance taxes are due, and settling those debts
- Determining which beneficiaries should receive designated assets
- Transferring assets that are in the decedent’s name to appropriate beneficiaries
- Disbursing remaining assets after all bills and taxes have been paid
In some cases, heirs and beneficiaries may dispute the structure and direction of a will. Problems regarding the divestiture of assets may also be a big problem when no valid will exists. When that happens, one or more parties may seek relief through litigation. While this is unfortunate, it does happen on a regular basis.
In those cases, Attorney Stimpson can assist a party as they work through litigation related to an estate. While a preferred way to resolve those issues is through mediation, when necessary Attorney Stimpson can also litigate those issues in court. The key to resolving these types of issues is to create an open dialog with all parties as soon as possible, making sure that the assets of the estate are preserved to the highest degree possible, instead of being consumed by legal fees.
Stimpson & Associates serves clients in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County and surrounding Michigan communities.